May 05, 2013

VALERIUS

Valerius Maximus was a writer in ancient Rome during the reign of Tiberius (AD 14 - 37). His most famous writing, Memorable Doings and Sayings is instructional in nature and arranged in short chapters, each focusing on a particular virtue (anger, cruelty, bravery, gratitude, etc.). 

Valerius gives an unending number of examples of life in and around Rome in the first century AD, incorporating a moral undertone and words of wisdom. For centuries his book was used as a guide for Roman etiquette.

Having never heard of him, I was surprised to hear his name called out to me in a dream, as if I were him!
"Step out of the shadows Valerius!"

What does it mean? I could only imagine! Where the mind goes in sleep is so very mysterious.

I looked 'Valerius' up on line, and discovered that he was a writer, with interests similar to mine! Of course... I had to read Memorable Doings and Sayings, and am halfway through it now. Perhaps through dream, he was trying to tell me to focus -- to keep on writing. 

In honor of the ancient writer here is one of his musings, and one of my favorites:
"The richest nourishment of virtue is honor."



No comments:

Post a Comment